In Person and Livestream Worship Service—a service to souls!
Westport Presbyterian Church—The Phoenix is rising!
February 12, 2023
(Video will be posted LIVE on the church’s FB page at 11am and then cross-posted here. If the video doesn’t load properly here, you should be able to click on the Watch on Facebook link and watch as a guest, even if you don’t have Facebook)
PRELUDE: Partita for Organ—Domenico Zipoli
CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS
Leader: For Christ Light guiding! For Holy Spirit Bird descending!
People: For emerging miracles— glad surprising!
Leader For sky circling and streams singing!
People: For four leggeds talking and two leggeds walking!
Leader: Winged ones flying! Hopping ones hopping!
People: All creatures crawling, creeping, paddling and diving!
Leader For earth’s holy places! For soul’s silent spaces!
People: And all God’s surprising, healing graces!
Leader: For Jesus’ parables and Sister Mary’s singing prayer!
People: For Miriam’s dancing and for Martin’s unfinished dream!
Leader: For the church’s now needed, New Reformation,
People: And mystic Howard Thurman’s rhythmic meditations!
Leader: Let us all, in our minds’ imagination
People Gather in timely preparation!
Leader: It’s a Holy Ghost liberation celebration!
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Somebody’s Knockin’ at Your Door GTG#728
CALL TO CONFESS OUR WEARINESS, DISCOURAGEMENT, DESPAIR, THEN COMMIT TO TRANSCEND THESE SELF DEFEATING MINDSETS
Pastor: I now know that God is able!
People: To give us interior resources to face life’s storms.
Pastor: Let this affirmation be our ringing cry.
People: It will give us courage to face the uncertainties of the future.
Pastor: It will give our tired feet new strength as we strive toward the city of freedom.
People: When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds,
Pastor: And our nights become darker than a hundred midnights—
People: Let us remember that there is a Power in the universe whose name is God.
Pastor: God is able to make a way out of no way,
People: And transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows.
Pastor: This is our hope for becoming new persons.
People: This is our mandate for seeking to make a better world.
Pastor: This is why we keep returning to answer the call to worship a God
People: Who will be at our side forever.
–Dr King, from the sermon “Our God is Able” after the family’s home was bombed
BLESSED ASSURANCE OF GOD’S ACTIVE GRACE: Halle, Halle, Hallelujah (sing twice) GTG#591
BIBLE READINGS: Deuteronomy 30:15-20 1 Corinthians 3:1-9 Emma WitbolsFeugen
ANTHEM: God of Mercy, God of Grace—Jerry F. Davidson
MESSAGE: Birthing Power!
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Take Me to the Water GTG #480
PRAYER: Merged Pastoral Prayer/Matthew 25 Prayer, Lord’s Prayer,
Sung Response: Come, Bring Your Burdens to God GTG#851
OFFERTORY: Steal Away—arr. by J. Rosamond Johnson, Jennifer Weiman, mezzo soprano
RESPONSIVE PRAYER OF DEDICATION
Pastor: May I be a guard for those who need protection
People: A guide for those on the path
Pastor: A boat, a raft, a bridge for those who wish to cross the flood
People: May I be a lamp in the darkness
Pastor: A resting place for the weary
People: A healing medicine for all who are sick
Pastor: A vase of plenty, a tree of miracles
People: And for the boundless multitudes of living beings
Pastor: May I bring sustenance and awakening
People: Enduring like the earth and sky
Pastor: Until all beings are freed from sorrow
People: And all are awakened.
—Shantideva, Indian Buddhist sage 700 C.E. Prayer performed each morning by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Over My Head STF#2148
SUNG BENEDICTION RESPONSE: Over My Head (refrain)
POSTLUDE: Come Away to the Skies—Thomas Keesecker
CHURCH AND COMMUNITY NEWS
• Mid Week Bible Study this Wednesday, 6:30 pm. Ask Rev Scott for Zoom link. We continue to study the Gospel of Mark.
• Rehearsals for the Black History Play Only the Wounds and Weapons Have Changed by Jacqee Gafford and Scott Myers, begin tomorrow night here. Opening night is Friday, March 17 at the Just Off Broadway Theater, 7:30 p.m. 9 performances. 1 Sunday matinee. Say WESTPORT at the box office to receive Buy 1, Get 1 Free tickets.
• #GoodTrouble KC is meeting with the new KCPD police chief next Monday, Feb. 20 to begin discussing our 7 principles of transformation in policing. Last week, we met with Major Ryan Sims, one of KCPD’s leaders.
• We are involved with Steptoe Lives in an effort to honor and preserve WHAT remains of the historic Black Westport community of Steptoe. A major event now being planned is Juneteenth in Steptoe, on the new national holiday, Monday, June 19. Want to join in the effort? Next meeting is Thursday, Feb. 23 at 2:00 p.m. here at the church. Stan Morgan and Rev Scott are participating so far.
• Still need all kinds of winter clothing for Westport Showers.
• Sunday, March 12- interactive worship service, followed by a pot luck lunch.