In Person and Livestream Worship Service—a service to souls!
Westport Presbyterian Church—The Phoenix is rising!
Reformation Sunday, October 30, 2022, 11:00 am
(Video will be posted LIVE on the church’s FB page at 11am and then cross-posted here. If the video doesn’t load properly here, you should be able to click on the Watch on Facebook link and watch as a guest, even if you don’t have Facebook)
PRELUDE: The Quiet Harvest- Thomas Keesecker
CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS
Leader: For Christ Light guiding and Spirit bird descending!
People: For emerging miracles— glad surprising!
Leader For sky circling and streams singing!
People: For four leggeds talking and two leggeds walking!
Leader: Winged ones flying! Hopping ones hopping!
People: All creatures crawling, creeping, paddling and diving!
Leader For earth’s holy places! For soul’s silent spaces!
People: And all God’s surprising, healing graces!
Leader: For Jesus’ parables and Sister Mary’s singing prayer!
People: For Miriam’s dancing and for Martin’s unfinished dream!
Leader: For the church’s now needed, New Reformation,
People: And mystic Howard Thurman’s rhythmic meditations!
Leader: Let us all, in our minds’ imagination
People Gather in timely preparation!
Leader: It’s a Holy Ghost liberation celebration!
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: We Are Marching in the Light of God Siyahamba GTG#853
CALL TO CONFESS OUR WEARINESS, DISCOURAGEMENT, DESPAIR, THEN COMMIT TO TRANSCEND THESE SELF DEFEATING MINDSETS
Pastor: I now know that God is able!
People: To give us interior resources to face life’s storms.
Pastor: Let this affirmation be our ringing cry.
People: It will give us courage to face the uncertainties of the future.
Pastor: It will give our tired feet new strengthas we strive toward the city of freedom.
People: When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds,
Pastor: And our nights become darker than a hundred midnights—
People: Let us remember that there is a Power in the universewhose name is God.
Pastor: God is able to make a way out of no way,
People: And transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows.
Pastor: This is our hope for becoming new persons.
People: This is our mandate for seeking to make a better world.
Pastor: This is why we keep returning to answer the call to worship a God
People: Who will be at our side forever
–Dr King, from the sermon “Our God is Able” after the family’s home was bombed
BLESSED ASSURANCE OF GOD’S ACTIVE GRACE: Halle, Halle, Hallelujah (sing twice) GTG#591
BIBLE READINGS: Matthew 5: 17, 21-25, 38-48 Romans 12:1-2
You have heard it said, but I say….Be transformed by the renewal of your mind.
ANTHEM: A Mighty Fortress- William Roger Price
MESSAGE: Change My Thinking !
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Take My Life GTG#697
PRAYER: Merged Pastoral Prayer/Matthew 25 Prayer Lord’s Prayer,
Sung Response: Lord, Listen to Your Children Praying (sing twice) GTG#469
OFFERTORY: Meditation (from THAIS)-Jules Massenet; Luke Gilmore, violin
RESPONSIVE PRAYER OF DEDICATION
Pastor: May I be a guard for those who need protection
People: A guide for those on the path
Pastor: A boat, a raft, a bridge for those who wish to cross the flood
People: May I be a lamp in the darkness
Pastor: A resting place for the weary
People: A healing medicine for all who are sick
Pastor: A vase of plenty, a tree of miracles
People: And for the boundless multitudes of living beings
Pastor: May I bring sustenance and awakening
People: Enduring like the earth and sky
Pastor: Until all beings are freed from sorrow
People: And all are awakened.
—Shantideva, Indian Buddhist sage 700 C.E. Prayer performed each morning by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
• Mid Week Bible Study this Wednesday, 6:30 pm. Ask Rev Scott for Zoom link.
• Volunteer needed for 2 hours, Friday, Nov. 11 and t Monday, Nov. 14— to work with Stan Morgan in the Westport Weekday Food Refuge. 10 am-12 noon.
• First Congregational Meal in 3 years. Sunday, Nov. 13 POT LUCK after worship. Because a new version of THE DANCING WORD was long scheduled in the Fellowship Room at 2 pm—and set up and rehearsal is needed THERE—we will have our pot luck around tables in the large area at the back of the sanctuiary. You can enjoy the meal and friendship and then attend the Dancing Word if you want to. It’s free (donations welcome to support Westport Center for the Arts) SIGN UP SHEETS TO ATTEND & BRING FOOD ARE ON THE TABLE AT THE BACK.
• 2023 Pledge Drive begins today. Read the enclosed pledge drive letter and respond, with the pledge card, to God’s love and grace in your life as you are able. Our goal is $115,000, about a $10,000 increase over what was pledged for 2022.
• Anti-Racism and the Church Dialogue with Micah Rose Emerson and Rev Scott, Saturday, Nov. 12, 10:30 am-11:45 am. “Reparations: Why Can’t We Talk About It?”