Westport Presbyterian Church—3rd SUNDAY OF LENT
Season of Self Examination! Taking Self Inventory! Repentance! Making Amends!March 12, 2023, 11:00 am
PRELUDE: Lord, Who Throughout These Forty Days (ST. FLAVIAN)-setting by Jeffrey Honoré
CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS
Leader: Dear, Loving God:
People: We know You by many beautiful names:
Leader: You are the Heavenly Father.
People: You are the Mother Miraculous
Leader: You are the Holy Spirit and You are the Rock of All Ages.
People: You are the Grace of Inner Space! You are the Quest in all our questions:
Leader: Why are we here?
People: Where are we going?
Leader: What am I living for?
People: What do I want, really?—at this time in my life?
Leader: In the midst of the world’s chaos and confusion and weapons and wounds,
let me not stay asleep, God
People: Light this little light of mine!— so I can become an awakened soul.
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: All Who Hunger, Gather Gladly GtG#509
LENTEN CONFESSION OF WAYS WE FAIL TO FOLLOW THE JESUS WAY
We all live in the same house, we all must be part of the effort to hold down our little house. When you see somethingthat is not right,not fair, not just do something about it. Say something. Have the courage. Have the backbone.You must be bold and brave, courageous and find a wayto get in the way. Walk with the wind. It’s all going to work out. Amen
—John Lewis, Freedom Movement leader, 1960’s, Voter Education Project Director, 1970’s, Member of the U.S. House of the U.S. House of Representatives, 1987-2020. Director Before all that, “He preached even to the chickens”. His most well known sermon message was “Get Into Good Trouble”.
SUNG BLESSED ASSURANCE OF GOD’S LOVING PRESENCE AMIDST
PERSONAL TRIALS AND TROUBLES: Oh, I Know the Lord’s Laid His Hands on Me STF#2139
BIBLE READINGS: Psalm 121 Matthew 24:16-20 Emma WitbolsFeugen
Lamb of God—Kyle Johnson
Your only son, no sin to hide, but you have banned him from your side
To walk along this guilty sod, and to become the Lamb of God.
Your gift of love they crucified, they laughed and scorned Him as he died;
The humble King they named a fraud and sacrificed the Lamb of God.
[refrain] Oh Lamb of God, sweet Lamb of God, I love the holy Lamb of God.
Oh, wash me in His precious blood, My Jesus Christ the Lamb of God.
I was so lost—I should have died, But you have brought me to your side
To be led by your staff and rod, And to be called the Lamb of God.
(Text is in Sing the Faith, #2113)
PRAYER BEFORE SERMON
Pastor: May the words of my mouth
People: And the meditations of our hearts
Pastor: Be acceptable to you, O Lord
People: Our Strength and our Redeemer. Amen.
MESSAGE— Flee Into the Mountains! (Jesus) -a little drama accompanied by spiritual commentary
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: You Walk along Our Shoreline GtG#170
PRAYER: Matthew 25 Prayer, Lord’s Prayer
SUNG RESPONSE: Come, Bring Your Burdens to God GtG#851
OFFERTORY: Like a Child ( A Soul-psalm)—Words and music by Loretta Ellenberger, Jennifer Weiman, mezzo soprano
UNISON PRAYER DEDICATING OUR OFFERINGS TO GOD’S GREAT WORK AMONG US AND BEYOND US
Our greatness has always come From people who expect nothing And take nothing for granted Folks who work hard for what they have, Then reach back and help others after them. May God bless our reaching back. And helping others. Amen—adapted from Michelle Obama
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Over My Head
SUNG BENEDICTION RESPONSE: Lead Me, Guide Me GtG#740
POSTLUDE: Simple Gifts—Shaker melody, arr. by Ann Buys
CHURCH AND COMMUNITY NEWS
· Pot O’ Gold Potluck Brunch and Conversation after worship. All are invited!
· Rehearsals for the original Black History Play Only the Wounds and Weapons Have Changed by Jacqee Gafford and Scott Myers, move from the church (Westport Rising Room in basement) to the Just Off Broadway Theater tomorrow. Opening night is this Friday, 7:30 p.m. 9 performances. 1 Sunday matinee. Say WESTPORT at the box office to receive Buy 1, Get 1 Free tickets (you get two tickets for $20). Groups of 10–$75 total. ($7.50/ticket)
• #GoodTrouble KC met with the new KCPD police chief, Stacey Graves, recently to discuss our police reform principles. We will meet again. We have a dialogue with one of the Board of Police Commissioners tomorrow and another with the President of the Board of Police Commissioners soon. We are discussing and thinking together about how to hire and promote more Black and Brown police officers, especially women, and how to achieve an audit that will change what the chief herself called “the good ol’ boy” culture in the KCPD, local control and gun control (a/k/a common sense gun reform) and ban on sale of assault weapons, and more.
· We are involved with Steptoe Lives in an effort to honor and preserve WHAT remains of the historic Black Westport community of Steptoe. A major event now being planned is Juneteenth in Steptoe, on the Sunday afternoon, June 18, the day before the new national holiday. Events will be held in the neighborhood (parade), at the St. James Missionary Baptist Church (music and Dancing Word) and here at Westport Presby (film) Want to join in the effort? Stan Morgan & Rev Scott are participating so far.
· Still need all kinds of winter clothing for Westport Showers. Water! Bread! Fruit!—too! Large men’s shoes, socks, underwear.
· Want to join folks here for a group visit after church one Sunday to a world class art exhibit coming to the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum? The exhibit is—Alberto Giacometti: Toward the Ultimate Figure, opens on March 18. Sign up sheet on the back table for some Sunday after the opening. We need as many people who have memberships to sign up so you can bring someone who doesn’t have a membership. If we need some extra tickets, we can use “arts and spirituality” funds in the budget to supplement. We haven’t done this in some time. Sign up. It will be fun!
· Want to help a meal for people living without a house? Meal for Cherith Brook will be made this coming Wednesday, 5 pm. Bring ingredients by 5 pm Tuesday.