3rd Sunday of Epiphany—Holy Season of Wonder and Light!
Westport Presbyterian Church—January 22, 2023, 11:00 am
(Video will be posted LIVE on the church’s FB page at 11am and then cross-posted here. If the video doesn’t load properly here, you should be able to click on the Watch on Facebook link and watch as a guest, even if you don’t have Facebook)
PRELUDE: Canzona in F major—Domenico Zipoli
CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS (Pastor: normal font people: bold font)
What brings you joy?
What slows you down?
What gives you hope?
What makes you think?
What invites you into wonder?
What makes you want to change?
What voice speaks truth you cannot find words to speak?
Or does it sing to you?
To act on your neighbor in need’s behalf?
Might it have something to do with the Holy?
Let’s open our eyes! Take a peak
Through the God window!
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Bring Forth the Kingdom
UNISON CALL TO CONFESS OUR NEED TO RISE ABOVE HOPELESSNESS IN THE FACE OF HUMAN WRONGDOING
We are a light. We are the light. We must never let anyone — any person or any force — dampen, dim or diminish our light. Hold only love, only peace in your heart, knowing that the battle of good to overcome evil is already won.”–John Lewis—“Good Trouble”
SUNG BLESSED ASSURANCE OF GOD’S ACTIVE GRACE: Oh, I Know the Lord Has Laid His Hand on Me
BIBLE READINGS: Matthew 4:12-23 Matthew 28:16-20
ANTHEM: Star Carol—Richard Shephard
PRAYER BEFORE SERMON
Pastor: May the words of my mouth
People: And the meditations of our hearts
Pastor: Be acceptable to you, O Lord
People: Our Strength and our Redeemer. Amen.
SERMON: Making Jesus Disciples Today !
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: I Need Thee #735GtG
OFFERTORY: How Can I Keep from Singing?—Alfred V. Fedak, Emma WitbolsFeugen, soprano
EPIPHANY PRAYER, LORD’S PRAYER, SUNG RESPONSE: Jesu, Tawa Pano ( Jesus,We Are Here) #392 GtG
PRAYER OF DEDICATION OF OUR GIFTS, SOULS, LIVES (pastor: normal font people: bold font)
It is certain that ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. (James Baldwin)
If you wish to strive for peace of soul and happiness, then believe; if you wish to be a disciple of truth, then inquire. (Friedrich Nietszche)
Hate is a wasteful emotion.Most of the people you hate don’t know you hate them.And the rest don’t care.(Medgar Evers, voting rights leader, 20th century martyr)
I never ran my train off the track,and I never lost a passenger, because I knew that slavery is the next thing to hell. (Harriet Tubman)
Never forget where you come from, And always praise the bridges that have carried you over. (Fannie Lou Hamer)
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (Jesus of Nazareth)
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Guide My Feet (stanzas 1-5) #741GtG
SUNG BENEDICTION RESPONSE: Guide My Feet (stanza 6) #741 GtG
POSTLUDE: O Jesus, King Most Wonderful (HIDING PLACE)—Charles Callahan
CHURCH AND COMMUNITY NEWS
- Continued Strong Prayers to Carly Simon and Drew and the whole family in the death of Carly’s brother, Darrell Newman. We pray for Carly as she grieves and for power for her as she continues to provide home care to her sister-in-law, Sue Newman. “Be still and know that I am God.”
- #GoodTroubleKC is meeting with Mayor Quinton Lucas on Wednesday, 1:00 pm to discuss principles of Police Reform—Stan Morgan, Brother John Anderson, Rev Scott and Karen Daniels.
- All of us who have been participating in Steptoe Lives since Stan Morgan created the mural on Willow Woods’ wall, enjoyed a victory on Wednesday and Thursday. KC City Council voted to re-name 43rd Terrace back to the original Steptoe Street and allocated $50,000 for the change and for memorial marker(s). Sihyamaba! There are other rivers to cross in this journey, still we are happy with this first step. Stay tuned.
- The Westport Concert Series presents Benton Dean Schmidt, organist, this Friday, January 27, 7:00 p.m. The concert is FREE, but donations to support the concert series are gratefully appreciated. Benton Schmidt is a native of Fargo, North Dakota. He received his Master’s Degree in Sacred Music from the University of Notre Dame and is now working toward his doctoral degree at the University o Kansas. Currently, he serves as music director of Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Parish in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Say hello to Mister Sticky Notes this morning, who will tell us about a stimulating, congregation goal/purpose setting gathering coming up on Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 7:00 pm.—to be followed by an interactive worship service/pot luck lunch with the same purpose, Sunday, March 12.
Presbyterian Urban and Immigrant Ministry Network meets here Tuesday, 6:00 p.m.