A Worship Service Centered on Prayer
Westport Presbyterian Church—The Phoenix is rising!—July 30, 2023
(Video will be posted LIVE on the church’s FB page at 11am and then cross-posted here. If the video doesn’t load properly here, you should be able to click on the Watch on Facebook link and watch as a guest, even if you don’t have Facebook)
PRELUDE Sonatina, HWV 581—Georg Friderich Handel
CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS
Leader: Dear, Loving God:
People: We know You by many beautiful names:
Leader: You are the Heavenly Father.
People: You are the Mother Miraculous
Leader: You are the Holy Spirit
People: And You are the Rock of All Ages.
Leader: You are the Space in Grace!
People: You are the Quest in all our questions
Leader: Why are we here?
People: Where are we going?
Leader: What am I living for?
People: What do I want, really?—at this time in my life?
Leader: In the midst of the world’s chaos & confusion & weapons & wounds, let us not stay asleep, God
People: Light this little light of mine!— so I can become an awakened soul.
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: What a Friend We Have in Jesus GTG #465
CALL TO CONFESS OUR WEARINESS, DISCOURAGEMENT, DESPAIR, THEN COMMIT TO TRANSCEND THESE SELF DEFEATING MINDSETS
Leader: In the stillness of the quiet, if we listen, we can hear the whisper of the heart giving strength to weakness,
People: Courage to fear, hope to despair.
Leader: There is something in every one of us that waits and listens for the sound of the genuine in ourselves
People: It is the only true guide we will ever have.
Leader: And if we cannot hear it, then all of our life we will spend our days on the ends of strings that somebody else pulls.
People: Listen to the long stillness: New life is stirring. New dreams are on the wing. New hopes are being readied.
Leader: God is at work.
People: This is the season of Promise. Amen.
—Dr. Howard Thurman
SUNG RESPONSE CELEBRATING GOD’S GRACE: Spirit of the Living God GTG#288 (sing twice so we can learn and practice the movements that go with the singing)
PASSING THE PEACE
Leader: The grace, peace, love and joy of Jesus Christ be with you!
People: And also with you!
Leader: Let us share the peace of Christ with one another
BIBLE READINGS: Romans 8:26-28, 35-36 Matthew 13:31-33, 44-46
ANTHEM: With Grateful Heart—arr. Mark Schweizer Today we are joined by members of the Westport choir.
Pastor: May the words of my mouth
People: And the meditations of our hearts
All: Be acceptable in Your sight, Our Lord and Redeemer. Amen.
MESSAGE –Dislocated in the Outer World, Relocating the Inner World via Prayer—The Most Reliable Wi-Fi Connection There Is
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: I Need Thee Every Hour GTG#735
SUNG PREPARATION FOR PRAYER: O Lord, Hear My Prayer GTG#471
Matthew 25 Prayer, Lord’s Prayer
OFFERTORY: Simple Gifts—arr. Mark Schweizer
UNISON PRAYER OF DEDICATION
May all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind Quickly be freed from their illnesses. May those frightened cease to be afraid, And may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, And may people think of befriending one another. May those who find themselves in trackless, fearful wilderness— the children, the aged, the unprotected– Be guarded now and always. Amen.–Buddhist prayer
A WESTPORT WARM WELCOMING!!
- Bread, Buns, Fruit, Water, Meat, Peanut Butter needed for our INTERRUPT HUNGER work. SACK LUNCHES W/ FULL DAY’S CALORIES WEEKDAYS.
- WESTPORT SHOWERS happen on Sundays & Thursday nights. Women’s underwear needed.
- Children’s Sunday School is taking a break until August 6th in the redesigned 2nd floor Children’s Space, teaching & learning will emphasize Care for the Earth, Sky and all God’s creation. 11:00 am. On Easter Sunday Westport Rising Children’s Sunday School was re-born after the pandemic! Teachers are focusing on care for the earth in our Sunday School classes.
- Friendship Time before and after worship with snacks and coffee. Starts at 10:20 am in the main hallway. Continues after worship. Time for spontaneous friendship interaction.
- We praise God for Stan Morgan’s art exhibit! Tell your friends, neighbors, family, co-workers to come and see the amazing lifetime works of this great artist and human being!
- Wednesday Bible Study via ZOOM, this Wednesday. 6:30 p.m. 75 minutes. We are studying the Gospel of Mark, are into Holy Week. Ask Rev Scott for the ZOOM link.
- DOG DAYS OF SUMMER BRUNCH—Sunday, August 13 after church. Mark your phone and/or paper calendars.