In Person and Livestream Worship Service
Westport Presbyterian Church—The Phoenix is Rising!—October 8, 2023
(Video will be posted LIVE on the church’s FB page at 11am and then cross-posted here. If the video doesn’t load properly here, you should be able to click on the Watch on Facebook link and watch as a guest, even if you don’t have Facebook)
PRELUDE: The Shema The Western Theological Seminary Hebrew Singers
RESPONSIVE CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS IN WORSHIP:
Leader: Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul!
People: I will praise the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God all my life long.
Leader: Do not put your trust in princes, in mortals, in whom there is no help.
People: When their breath departs, they return to the earth; on that very day their plans perish.
Leader: Happy are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD their God,
People: who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them; who keeps faith forever;
Leader: who executes justice for the oppressed; who gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets the prisoners free;
People: the LORD opens the eyes of the blind. The LORD lifts up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.
Leader: The LORD watches over the strangers; he upholds the orphan and the widow, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
Unison: The LORD will reign forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations. Praise the LORD!
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Christ, Whose Glory Fills the Skies #662GTG
UNISON PRAYER OF CONFESSION (from Psalm 51):
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
SUNG RESPONSE CELEBRATING GOD’S GRACE: Halle, Halle, Halle (REFRAIN ONLY) #591GTG
PASSING THE PEACE:
Leader: The grace, peace, love, and joy of Jesus Christ be with you!
People: And also with you!
Leader: Let us share the peace of Christ with one another.
BIBLE READINGS: Deuteronomy 6:3-9; Mark 12:28-34 Gregor White/Trail White
CHORAL ANTHEM: For the Beauty of the Earth Mark Schweizer
PRAYER FOR ILLUMINATION:
Leader: Let the words of my mouth
People: And the meditations of our hearts
Leader: Be acceptable to You,
People: O Lord, our Rock and our Redeemer. Amen.
SERMON: “The Flow” Steve Zeoli
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: O Master, Let Me Walk with Thee #738GTG
SUNG PREPARATION FOR PRAYER: Come, Bring Your Burdens to God #851GTG
PASTORAL PRAYER, LORD’S PRAYER
OFFERTORY SOLO: The Majesty & Glory of Your Name Bill George & John Chisum; Benjamin Ruiz, tenor
UNISON PRAYER OF DEDICATION:
Gracious God, we thank You that generosity allows us to experience such abundance. We rejoice to lift before you this potential for all that lights up our church at night and all the light our ministries shine on the world in the day, for mission in the city and global mission, for support groups, scout troops, child care center and arts center, for snow shoveling and floor mopping, for pastoral care and beautiful music, for Sunday School and lunch bags, shower ministry, and social justice work – and we ask Your blessing upon our own transformation through Christ into a holy offering. Amen.
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: I Want Jesus to Walk with Me #775GTG
SUNG BENEDICTION RESPONSE: Goodness is Stronger than Evil (Desmond Tutu) #750GTG
THE SHEMA William White
POSTLUDE: Hark, I Hear the Harps Eternal Gilbert Martin
A WESTPORT WARM WELCOMING!
- We are mourning the sudden death, August 26, of our beloved pastor Rev. Scott Myers. We welcome STEVE ZEOLI who is leading our worship service today.
- We welcome BENJAMIN RUIZ who is our new tenor section leader!
- If you need pastoral care, please contact the church office. Rev. Eric Garbision has volunteered to be on call and available to the congregation.
- Bread, Buns, Fruit, Water, Meat, Peanut Butter, Cheese are always needed for our INTERRUPT HUNGER work.
- WESTPORT SHOWERS happens on Sundays & Thursday nights. Men’s boxer brief underwear needed. Men’s and Women’s shoes. Backpacks! Jackets, Sweatshirts, Warm Clothes for this cold weather!
- Children’s Sunday School is back in action in the redesigned 2nd floor Children’s Space, teaching & learning will emphasize Care for the Earth, Sky and all God’s creation. Sunday mornings during the 1st half of worship, beginning at 11:00 am.
- Join us for Friendship Time before and after worship with snacks and coffee. Starts at 10:20 am in the main hallway. Continues after worship. Time for spontaneous friendship interaction! Smile.
- Stan Morgan’s art exhibit continues in our church gallery spaces. Tell your friends, neighbors, family, co-workers to come and see the amazing lifetime works of this great artist and human being!
INREACH & OUTREACH IN THE COMING WEEK: (All Events are at the Church, 201 Westport Rd – unless noted)
Monday, Oct. 9 4:30 p.m. FREDitation – a centering prayer experience – 20 min (Chapel)
6:30 p.m. Men’s AA Meeting (Storefront)
7:30 p.m. Boy Scout Troop 60 (Westport Rising Room)
Tuesday, Oct. 10 7:00 p.m. Irish Dance (Westport Rising Room)
Wednesday, Oct. 11 6:30 p.m. Zoom Bible Study – contact church office for link (Online) *meets every other week*
Friday, Oct. 13 10:00 a.m. Children’s Mercy TIES Group (Fellowship Room)
Saturday, Oct. 14 8:30 a.m. Living Integrated (Men’s Support Group) (Storefront)
10:00 a.m. Cub Scouts (Westport Rising Room)
7:00 p.m. Westport Concert Series: Anne Marie Rigler, organist (Sanctuary)
Sunday, Oct. 15 8-9:30 a.m. Westport Showers (Fellowship Room & Basement)
10:20 a.m. Friendship Time – coffee & snacks – before & after worship (Fellowship Hallway)
11:00 a.m. Service of the Lord’s Day: Eric Garbison, worship leader (Sanctuary)
Children’s Sunday School (Upstairs Children’s Room)
12:15 p.m. Choir Rehearsal (Sanctuary)