In Person and Livestream Worship Service
Westport Presbyterian Church—The Phoenix is Rising!—August 20, 2023
(Video will be posted LIVE on the church’s FB page at 11am and then cross-posted here. If the video doesn’t load properly here, you should be able to click on the Watch on Facebook link and watch as a guest, even if you don’t have Facebook)
PRELUDE: Variations on “Ballodel Granduca”—Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck
UNISON CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS IN WORSHIP
Jesus said, “I am the light of the world.” Jesus also said, “You are the light of the world.” But light itself cannot be seen. Light travels too fast to be seen. We see what light lights up. We see what light shines on. Be the light. Become the light. Become Jesus following light.
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name (Diadem)
RESPONSIVE CALL TO REPAIR AND HEAL OUR SOULS
Leader: You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve the world’s problems at once.
People: But don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.
Leader: Listen to your hopes instead of your fears— How this time, we decide to stop doubting and to start dreaming.
People: How this time we commit ourselves to building the world As it should be to serve our fellow human beings.
Leader: We need to fix our souls. Our souls are broken and we have lost our way.
People: We are all God’s children And there’s so much more that unites us than divides us. Amen.
SUNG RESPONSE CELEBRATING GOD’S GRACE: Holy, Holy, Holy GTG#595
PASSING THE PEACE
Leader: The grace, peace, love and joy of Jesus Christ be with you!
People: And also with you! Leader: Let us share the peace of Christ with one another.
BIBLE READINGS: Genesis 45:1-15 John 37b-38
ANTHEM: At the Name of Jesus—(NOËL NOUVELET)—arr. James Kirkby
Leader: Let the words of my mouth
People: And the meditation of our hearts
Leader: Be acceptable to You,
People: O LORD, our Rock and our Redeemer. Amen.
MESSAGE – Uncovering Our Cover Ups !
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: Psalm of Life
SUNG PREPARATION FOR PRAYER: Christ Be Beside Me GTG#702
PRAYER: Pastoral Prayer merged with Matthew 25 Prayer, Lord’s Prayer
OFFERTORY: His Eye Is on the Sparrow—Charles Gabriel, arr. James P. Colman
UNISON PRAYER OF DEDICATION
Receive. Be generous. Through darkness, we find light. A shadow says that “Light is here.” We’re all just walking each other home. Our work is to love people in such a way That the people we love feel free. Amen.
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less GTG#353
SUNG BENEDICTION RESPONSE: Goodness is Stronger than Evil (Desmond Tutu) GTG#750
POSTLUDE: Come, Christians, Join to Sing—Mary McDonald
A WESTPORT WARM WELCOMING!!
- Bread, Buns, Fruit, Meat, Peanut Butter, cheese are alays needed for our INTERRUPT HUNGER work.
- WESTPORT SHOWERS happen on Sundays & Thursday nights. Women’s underwear needed. Men’s and Women’s shoes. Backpacks!
- Children’s Sunday School is in the redesigned 2nd floor Children’s Space, teaching & learning emphasize Care for the Earth, Sky and all God’s creation. 11:00 a.m. Teachers are focusing on care for the earth in our Sunday School classes.
- We praise God for Stan Morgan’s art exhibit! Tell your friends, neighbors, family, co-workers to come and see the amazing lifetime works of this great artist and human being!
- FREDitation—a centering prayer experience—is Monday 4:30 p.m. 20 minutes
- #GoodTroubleKC Silent Protest (while holding signs) for Police Reform, 9:30 am Tuesday, at public Board of Police Commissioners meeting. Let Stan Morgan, Rev Scott or Marian Thomas know if you need car pooling. Otherwise, meet on front steps of police department, 1125 Locust downtown at 9:15 am
- Rev Scott will be off duty from this Wednesday, Aug. 23- Tuesday, Aug. 29, back at work, Wednesday, Aug. 30. Rev Carla Gentry will lead worship on Sunday, Aug. 27. Rev David Nzioka will respond to pastoral calling needs.