Lucian Tapiedi (New Guinea) “In an age of aggression”
Wang Zhiming (China) “In an age of fanaticism”
WESTPORT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH WORSHIP SERVICE
ALL SAINTS’ SUNDAY
CELEBRATION OF HOLY COMMUNION
November 5, 2023
“All are welcome here. We believe God’s love is for all people. We follow Jesus in celebrating diversity in race, gender, sexual orientation, ability and disability, age and youth.”
–an affirmation of our church, passed by the church’s Session/
Westport 2016 Committee, May 17, 2016
(Video will be posted LIVE on the church’s FB page at 11am and then cross-posted here ASAP. If the video doesn’t load properly here, you should be able to click on the Watch on Facebook link and watch as a guest, even if you don’t have Facebook)
OPENING WORDS OF REFLECTION:
Leader: In the singing, in the silence,
People: In the hands expectant, open to the blessing.
Leader: In the breaking, in the Presence at this table,
People: Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, be the wine of grace,
Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, be the bread of peace.
Leader: In the question, in the answer, in the moment of acceptance,
People: In the heart’s cry, in the healing, in the circle of Your people,
Leader: Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, be the wine of grace,
People: Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, be the bread of peace.
–Shirley Erena Murray
PRELUDE: Prelude on GRAND ISLE Michael Burkhardt
CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS:
Leader: I don’t know how our mothers and grandmothers walked their troubles and trials down.
People: I don’t know how our fathers and grandfathers stood their ground.
Leader: I don’t know how our people survived Wars, Slavery, Depression, Sorrow.
People: But I do remember, that’s why I believe.
Leader: Our God calls to us by the thunder and in the morning dew.
People: The Beauty of the universe knows our name! –
Leader: Gives us a song to sing and sends us on our way!
People: We raise our voices for justice, peace and God’s enduring love – We believe.
–adapted from I Remember, I Believe by Bernice Johnson Reagon
OPENING HYMN: For All the Saints GTG#326
UNISON PRAYER OF CONFESSION:
We confess our lack of real reform in the Church, in our nation, in our communities, in our individual thinking: We divide ourselves by race, gender and religion and forget our common humanity. We accept human inequality and its harsh consequences, and we lack the political will to level the playing field. We know we are bringing harm and destruction to the planet, but lack the courage to reform our laws to protect the natural world. We know there is a God, yet we lack the imagination to reform our daily living to practice trust in God. Grant us minds, hearts, and wills more open to our need for deep spiritual reform. Amen.
SILENT MEDITATION (approx. 20 seconds)
ASSURANCE OF GOD’S GRACE AND PRESENCE: You Are My Strength When I Am Weak (SING ONCE) GTG#519
SHARING OF THE PEACE:
Pastor: The grace, peace, love and joy of Jesus Christ be with you
People: And also with you.
Pastor: Let us share the peace of Christ with one another.
Old Testament: Psalm 34:1-8
New Testament: 1 John 3:1-3
CHORAL ANTHEM: Never Weather-Beaten Sail text: Thomas Campion music: Charles Wood
Never weather-beaten sail more willing bent to shore,
never tired pilgrim limbs affected slumber more,
Than my weary spirit now longs to fly out of my troubled breast:
O come quickly, sweetest Lord, and take my soul to rest!
Ever blooming are the joys of heav’n’s high Paradise,
Old age deafs not there our ears nor vapour dims our eyes:
Glory there the sun outshines; whose beams the Blessèd only see:
O come quickly, come quickly, glorious Lord, and raise my soul to Thee!
PRAYER FOR ILLUMINATION:
Pastor: May the words of my mouth
People: And the meditations of our hearts
Unison: Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord,
our Strength and our Redeemer, Amen.
MESSAGE: See What Love God Has Given to Us —Rev. Susan Wesley Hartley
COMMUNION PREPARATION: All Who Hunger, Gather Gladly GTG#509
CELEBRATION OF HOLY COMMUNION:
INVITATION TO THE LORD’S TABLE:
Pastor: Let’s gather around this planet friendly, holy table, With holy bread & drink
People: The promise of Christ coming alive among us
Pastor: This is the welcome table of God where all who intend to experience the non- physical spiritual dimension of life—
People: And live in relationships of freedom and peace with neighbors!
Pastor: Hunger no more! Come to eat! Here, all who longs for otherwise elusive grace
People: May enjoy the strong love of God in Jesus Christ.
Pastor: Here you are embraced and held by Self Emptying Love!—
People: One of God’s great and holy names!
Pastor: Come to drink, you are invited into this holy mystery.
People: We are ready!
Pastor: Jesus said: “I am the bread of life. All who come to me shall not
hunger, and all who believe in me shall never be thirsty.”
People: We are hungry for Your Love, O God, We are thirsty for Your Deep Peace,
O Lamb of God. We seek an unusual gift— an experience of wonder and joy.
Pastor: Come in, Holy Spirit. Open our eyes to the mystery of
The living Christ’s presence in our midst. Through the broken bread…
People: We are becoming the Body of Christ—
Pastor: Feeding the hungry!
People: Giving showers and clothes to people who are homeless and extremely poor!
Pastor: Becoming anti-racist! Getting into Good Trouble!
People: Let us praise and pray to God by singing an African hymn!
CONGREGATIONAL SUNG PRAYER: Come, Bring Your Burdens to God (SING TWICE) GTG#851
SCRIPTURE READING: Revelation 7: 9-17
Pastor: Let us lift up the names of the Saints that we want to remember on this day And the people we wish to pray for, concluding with The Lord’s Prayer (Glory to God, page 35)…
BREAKING AND SHARING OF THE BREAD,
POURING AND SHARING OF THE WINE
Pastor: The Grace, Peace, Love and Joy of Jesus Christ be with you.
People: And also with you.
Pastor: Let us pray in unison…
UNISON PRAYER OF THANKSGIVING:
Gracious, loving God, You have called us to become a body of Christ. Thank you for filling us amidst hunger & thirst. Now send us into the world to do the great work You have called us to do—Find the lost & lonely! Heal wounded souls! Free people, including ourselves, who are not at all free! Give compassion to the vulnerable & marginalized! Love Beauty, Planet & Sky, persist in resisting evil, share by how we live the Message of Jesus, Who is The Light in the World. Amen.
WELCOME! NEWS IN, AROUND AND BEYOND THE COMMUNITY
FALL PLEDGE DRIVE MESSAGE Pledge Online Here
THE OFFERING OF OURSELVES
OFFERTORY SOLO: Flow Not So Fast, Ye Fountaines John Dowland, Joshua Stark, bass
UNISON PRAYER OF DEDICATION:
Gracious God, we thank You that generosity allows us to experience such abundance. We rejoice to lift before you this potential for all that lights up our church at night and all the light our ministries shine on the world in the day, for mission in the city and global mission, for support groups, scout troop, child care center and arts center, for snow shoveling and floor mopping, for pastoral care and beautiful music, for Sunday School and lunch bags, shower ministry, and social justice work – and we ask Your blessing upon our own transformation through Christ into a holy offering. Amen.
O when the saints go marching in,
O when the saints go marching in,
O Lord, I want to be in that number
when the saints go marching in.
A WESTPORT WARM WELCOMING:
- WELCOME! MEMBERS! NEWCOMERS! FRIENDS! We are so glad you could join us for worship today! VISITORS, please take a moment to let us know you were here by picking up an attendance card (in the pews) and filling out whatever information you would like to share with us.
- WELCOME FAMILIES! Children’s Sunday School is back in action in the redesigned 2nd floor Children’s Space, teaching & learning will emphasize Care for the Earth, Sky and all God’s creation. Sunday mornings during the 1st half of worship, beginning at 11:00 am.
- We WELCOME REV. SUSAN WESLEY HARTLEY who has been hired by the church Session to serve as our Bridge Pastor for the next several months. She begins this full time position starting Monday, Nov. 6. If you need pastoral care, please contact the church office.
- Sunday, November 26 we will be having a FRIENDSGIVING POTLUCK after church. Bring a Thanksgiving dish to share!
- Our FALL PLEDGE DRIVE begins today. The Session has set a goal of $112,000. Please prayerfully consider what you are able to give in the coming year to help us reach our larger goals of making space for God’s grace here at Westport Presby. Our mission is to uncover what Jesus is doing now—here in the heart of the city—and follow him! PLEASE HELP US REACH OUR GOAL by submitting a pledge card!
- Join us for Friendship Time before and after worship with snacks and coffee. Starts at 10:20 am in the main hallway. Continues after worship. Time for spontaneous friendship interaction! Smile.
- Bread, Buns, Fruit, Water, Meat, Peanut Butter, Cheese are always needed for our INTERRUPT HUNGER work. WESTPORT SHOWERS happens on Sundays & Thursday nights. Men’s boxer brief underwear needed. Men’s and Women’s shoes. Backpacks! Jackets, Sweatshirts, Warm Clothes for this cold weather!
INREACH & OUTREACH IN THE COMING WEEK:
(All Events are at the Church, 201 Westport Rd – unless noted)
- Monday, Nov. 6 4:30 p.m. FREDitation – a centering prayer experience – 20 min (Chapel)
- 6:30 p.m. Men’s AA Meeting (Storefront)
- 7:30 p.m. Boy Scout Troop 60 (Westport Rising Room)
- Tuesday, Nov. 7 7:00 p.m. Irish Dance (Westport Rising Room)
- Wednesday, Nov. 8 7:00 p.m. Zoom Bible Study – contact church office for link (Online) *meets every other week*
- Thursday, Nov. 9 5:30 p.m. Westport Showers – For Women, Trans, & Gender Non-conforming people (Basement)
- Friday, Nov. 10 10:00 a.m. Children’s Mercy Healthy Families Group (Fellowship Room)
- Saturday, Nov. 11 8:30 a.m. Living Integrated (Men’s Support Group) (Storefront)
- 10:00 a.m. Cub Scouts (Westport Rising Room)
- Sunday, Nov. 12 8-9:30 a.m. Westport Showers (Fellowship Room & Basement)
- 10:20 a.m. Friendship Time – coffee & snacks – before & after worship (Fellowship Hallway)
- 11:00 a.m. Service of the Lord’s Day (Sanctuary) Children’s Sunday School (Upstairs Children’s Room)
- 12:15 p.m. Choir Rehearsal (Sanctuary)
Tuesday, Nov. 14 7:00 p.m. Session Meeting (Fellowship Room)
Music Director………………………………………………………………………………Emily Davidson
Office Manager………………………………………………………………………………Deanna Capps
Custodians……………………………………………..Jose (Chico) Jimenez & Marisel Myers-Aronson
email@example.com (church contact)
Follow us on Facebook at: facebook.com/westportpresbyterian