In Person and Livestream Worship Service
Westport Presbyterian Church—The Phoenix is Rising!—October 15, 2023
(Video will be posted LIVE on the church’s FB page at 11am and then cross-posted here. If the video doesn’t load properly here, you should be able to click on the Watch on Facebook link and watch as a guest, even if you don’t have Facebook)
PRELUDE: Sonata, op. 79: Andante Beethoven
RESPONSIVE CALL TO RETURN TO OUR SOULS IN WORSHIP:
One: This is a thin place
All: where earth and heaven embrace
One: Where past interweaves with future
All: Where people gather expectantly
One: This is a thin place, where hopes are renewed
All: Where faith is restored,
One: Where peace is revived
All: Where love is refreshed
One: This is a thin place
All: Where fresh words are heard
One: Deep wisdom revealed
All: Daring promises proclaimed
One: This is a thin place
All: Where the God who shaped us
One: The Christ who remakes us
All: The Spirit who inspires us
One: Walks among us
All: Full of Grace and Truth
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: My Life Flows On GTG#821
RESPONSIVE PRAYER OF CONFESSION (adapted from A Wee Worship Book):
One: Glorious God, Divine Love and Light
Your thoughts are not our thoughts
All: Your ways are not our ways
One: Not to have our works confirmed,
All: But to have our best liberated
One: We pray for your grace and pardon.
All: Forgive us for what has gone wrong,
Repair in us what is wasted,
Reveal in us what is good.
SUNG RESPONSE CELEBRATING GOD’S GRACE: Halle, Halle, Halle (REFRAIN ONLY) GTG#591
PASSING THE PEACE:
Leader: The grace, peace, love, and joy of Jesus Christ be with you!
People: And also with you!
Leader: Let us share the peace of Christ with one another.
BIBLE READING: Phillipians 3:4b-14
CHORAL ANTHEM: God of the Ages Arlen Clarke. Today, we welcome Nathan Sullins, tenor guest.
PRAYER FOR ILLUMINATION:
Leader: Let the words of my mouth
People: And the meditations of our hearts
Leader: Be acceptable to You,
People: O LORD, our Rock and our Redeemer. Amen.
SERMON: “Pressing On” Rev. Eric Garbison
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: My Shepherd Will Supply My Need GTG#803
SUNG PREPARATION FOR PRAYER: Come, Bring Your Burdens to God GTG#851
PASTORAL PRAYER, LORD’S PRAYER
OFFERTORY SOLO: The Earth Is the Lord’s Frank Lynes; Sarah Baxter, alto
UNISON PRAYER OF DEDICATION:
May our offerings change us. May our offerings change our church. May our offerings change the path and fate of just one person. May our offerings travel a long ways beyond us & make Your Realm of Love larger. And may our offerings travel a long ways inside of us and make us more humble. Amen.
CONGREGATIONAL HYMN: I’ve Got Peace Like a River GTG#623
SUNG BENEDICTION RESPONSE: Goodness is Stronger than Evil (Desmond Tutu) GTG#750
POSTLUDE: Fantasia in A major: Allegro Telemann
A WESTPORT WARM WELCOMING!
• WELCOME! MEMBERS! NEWCOMERS! FRIENDS! We are so glad you could join us for worship today! VISITORS, please take a moment to let us know you were here by picking up an attendance card (in the pews) and filling out whatever information you would like to share with us.
• WELCOME FAMILIES! Children’s Sunday School is back in action in the redesigned 2nd floor Children’s Space, teaching & learning will emphasize Care for the Earth, Sky and all God’s creation. Sunday mornings during the 1st half of worship, beginning at 11:00 am.
• We are mourning the sudden death, August 26, of our beloved pastor REV. SCOTT MYERS. We welcome ERIC GARBISON who is leading our worship service today.
• Today we welcome guest tenor NATHAN SULLINS!
• If you need pastoral care, please contact the church office. Rev. Eric Garbision has volunteered to be on call and available to the congregation.
· Bread, Buns, Fruit, Water, Meat, Peanut Butter, Cheese are always needed for our INTERRUPT HUNGER work. WESTPORT SHOWERS happens on Sundays & Thursday nights. Men’s boxer brief underwear needed. Men’s and Women’s shoes. Backpacks! Jackets, Sweatshirts, Warm Clothes for this cold weather!
• Join us for Friendship Time before and after worship with snacks and coffee. Starts at 10:20 am in the main hallway. Continues after worship. Time for spontaneous friendship interaction! Smile.
• Stan Morgan’s art exhibit continues in our church gallery spaces. Tell your friends, neighbors, family, co-workers to come and see the amazing lifetime works of this great artist and human being!
INREACH & OUTREACH IN THE COMING WEEK:
(All Events are at the Church, 201 Westport Rd – unless noted)
Monday, Oct. 16 4:30 p.m. FREDitation – a centering prayer experience – 20 min (Chapel)
6:30 p.m. Men’s AA Meeting (Storefront)
7:30 p.m. Boy Scout Troop 60 (Westport Rising Room)
Tuesday, Oct. 17 7:00 p.m. Irish Dance (Westport Rising Room)
Wednesday, Oct. 18 8:00 p.m. Mission & Outreach Meeting (Zoom)
Friday, Oct. 20 12:00 noon Westport Center for the Arts’ Brown Bag Concert Series: Shortleaf Band – Music of the Ozarks (Sanctuary)
Saturday, Oct. 21 8:30 a.m. Living Integrated (Men’s Support Group) (Storefront)
Sunday, Oct. 15 8-9:30 a.m. Westport Showers (Fellowship Room & Basement)
10:20 a.m. Friendship Time – coffee & snacks – before & after worship (Fellowship Hallway)
11:00 a.m. Service of the Lord’s Day: Diane Waddell, worship leader (Sanctuary)
Children’s Sunday School (Upstairs Children’s Room)
12:15 p.m. Choir Rehearsal (Sanctuary)
Friday, Oct. 27 7:00 p.m. & Saturday, Oct. 28 2:00 p.m: Westport Center for the Arts’ The Dancing Word: “Carrying the Ancestors’ Stories” (Center for Spiritual Living, 1014 W 39th Street, KCMO 64111) Presented Free, Donations Welcomed.
Music Director………………………………………………………………………………Emily Davidson
Office Manager………………………………………………………………………………Deanna Capps
Custodians……………………………………………..Jose (Chico) Jimenez & Marisel Myers-Aronson
email@example.com (church contact)
Follow us on Facebook at: facebook.com/westportpresbyterian